© 2004-2016

Patagonia Bookshelf



It was mentioned in these columns lately that H.M.S. Champion was searching the southernmost coast of South America, round the vicinity of Cape Horn, for any shipwrecked crews or castaways. The following is the result as reported by Captain A. F. St. Clair:— 1. On the 28th February proceeded to sea, in execution of their lordships' orders by telegram, to search the coast of Tierra del Fuego from Sebastian to Sloggett's Bay. 2. On passing Cape Virgins a heavy south-westerly gale was encountered, and shelter was taken in Sebastian Bay, where the ship was anchored at 5 p.m. on the 10th March. 3. On the morning of the 12th instant, the weather having moderated, I proceeded with the examination, and am able to report that there are no shipwrecked crews on that part of the coast, but there is the wreck of a brig on the rocks in Thetis Bay close to the entrance of Le Maire Straits. 4. Natives were seen all along the east coast between Sebastian and Good Success Bay, but the only places at which Europeans were found are as follows :— (a). On the spit which runs to the southward from Nombu Head there is a gold-mining company established, there being several permanent buildings and a flagstaff flying the Argentine flag. (b). In a bay close to Cape Medio a fire was seen on shore, and some Europeans near it ; a boat was sent ashore, and they proved to be a party of four men prospecting for gold. (c.) At Good Success Bay the settlement is in charge of an Argentine Government official styling himself a sub-prefect, who informed me that the survivors from the brig wrecked in Thetis Bay had been taken away by the Government vessel which visits the coast every three months. (d). At Sloggett's Bay a gold-mining company have established an encampment. [Item 5 missing, Ed.] 6. On arriving off Sloggett's Bay on the afternoon of the 14th instant, a strong gale was experienced from the S.S.W., and shelter was taken at Banner Cove for the night, and on the following day I proceeded to Good Success Bay and anchored there for the night, leaving that place for the Straits of Magellan the following morning.

The limits of the Pacific station were reached during the forenoon of the 17th instant, and the ship anchored in Possession Bay that evening until 6 a.m. the following morning, when I proceeded for Sandy Point, which was reached at 4 p.m."  

Source: "Sydney Morning Herald" (NSW), 24 June 1889
Clipped: 22-IX-2012
Copyright © 2004-2016 Duncan S. Campbell + Gladys Grace P.
— for personal and educational use only — please cite this URL —